As curators of ‘Re-Creation – the Resilience of Architecture’, Juulia Kauste and Ole Bouman would like to invite you to join the debate ‘The Culture of Making’ and celebrate the launch of Volume #39 as catalogue of the past Urbanism\Architecture Bi-city Biennale Shenzhen, and featuring the contribution of Anssi Lassila at the Alvar Aalto Pavilion of Finland, Giardini di Castello, Venice.
In the 20th century, subject of this year’s La Biennale di Venezia, architecture has increasingly become a matter of selling images. Discourse began to evolve around iconic buildings. Stars were born by disseminating flashy images. Architects couldn’t survive without becoming their own marketeers. The biggest names in the field often rely on some shadow figure, who actually knows how to make things. Re-Creation brings the art of making back to the forefront. It shows how, despite and within the robust tendencies towards abstraction and globalization, architecture can create and fabricate situations in which the makers are the determining factor of cultural value.
Panel members of the debate
– Weiwen Huang, UABB executive team
– Doreen Liu, co-curator of the Hong Kong pavilion, member of the Value Factory design team Jiang Jun, curator of the Chinese pavilion
Anssi Lassila, Architect and exhibitor of the Finnish pavilion
– Rem Koolhaas, architect and theorist: curator of the 14th International Architecture Exhibition
– Stephan Petermann, research team OMA/AMO
– Chaired by Ole Bouman and Juulia Kauste
Free entrance! Click here to attend the event on Facebook.